Sunday, June 12, 2005

Independence Day

Today, in ABS-CBN Channel 2, in the Philippines, Independence Day is shown.

Aside from that, today IS Independence Day.

I love being a Filipino. I love my country. I may not love a lot of Filipinos, but I appreciate them.

I do not just love the Filipinos or Rizal Park or kare-kare. I love the Philippines. I love our nation.

I read in a stupid article in Philippine Star about no Filipino says that he or she loves the Philippines. That when asked if what nationality a person is, a Filipino would rather not tell. I would proudly say to anyone in the world, "I am a Filipino."

The history of the Filipino people and the Philippines are encircled with schemes and lies, but one thing I know: The Filipinos died, and they are worth dying for.

* * *

I also heard in another stupid show about the participation of the youth in, I don't know, governance, public service or nation-building. A lot of things were given, the usual blame-game, but in the conclusion, the show did not identify the distinct purpose of the youth. It is not people power. It is not a call for democracy. It is playing the role of the youth - to prepare for the future responsibility of nation-building.

The youth does not need to take to the streets their sentiments - that is stupid. What really, has taking the issues done to the country? Nothing positive, I assure anyone. Two things I know: Going to the streets corrupts the truth, and litters the street.

EDSA 1, 2 and 3 have passed, where is the country now?

"The Filipino is worth dying for," Ninoy Aquino has said. I would, however, not agree that dying for means being given "democracy." Because what we are living in now is a democratic government but a demagogue way of life.

I love the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment