Sunday, September 18, 2005

Inside and outside the Corps

"Pulutong, lumansag!" (Platoon, dismissed.)
After that command, we scrambled to get out of SSWC. The third class cadet officer told us that after he dismisses us, we must be outside of UP premises within five seconds.
After getting out of the CN gate, we exchanged numbers. I didn't have a mobile phone, so I gave the number of our house.
During COCC training, we never called anybody in our class.
We went home exhausted, getting a glimpse of the future four or so years - not in ROTC, but in UP.
Being a cadet officer is a lifestyle in UP Manila.
* * *
I have a 7:30AM class in Spanish I the next day, and I thought it would be like the other days I had before ROTC. But no. It's different.
It was very different.
I walked differently, that's for sure. I had to walk straight, I'm afraid cadet officers would see me slouching my way in college. I imagined myself being shouted at by a Co in the college, and I have to talk to him or her in FULL attention. I have to minimize the chance of a CO seeing me in a way they should not.
That way of walking, plus a couple (or company) of cadets who saw me the previous day, with their lady classmates, gave another difference. I didn't hear whispers like, "That man is a COC," or something, but I could see their eyes looking, I could now feel their glance at my back.
I have been marked.
Talk about not letting anyone know I was in COCC.
After waiting for a few minutes outside the classroom - we had to wait for the utility personnel to open the classrooms - we went inside. In our block, there were 5 guys. Four freshmen, 1 graduating. The rest of the 30-strong class is girls. Of the four freshman guys, only I was taking COCC.
So that I would not be tempted not to listen, I sat at the front. I have to take this seriously. We were told we have to maintain a grade in our acads to maintain officership.
I remembered our lesson in military correspondence. It included the last day of request for transfer (RTU) - or quitting. I thought, I'll give it another try.
* * *
In Philosophy I, our teacher did not attend class, because was the first time we met (a tradition being held religiously by professors). At that moment a group of students asked if they could do RTR (room to room, or give a speech in class). They all wore smilies and were very friendly, except this one suave guy who is observing me intently (he gives a smile to other people, though). What is this guy thinking?
All the other girls and guys spoke at the front. Student elections, that is what this is all about. The party was Katipunan.
The tall guy sat beside me and listened to his co-members. Is this a fratman who wants to recruit me? Why? Can't he see my thin and small body? I'm a useless comrade in a rumble, and I'm not going to make myself a slave for an honorless society (notice the qualification, though). Or is this a recruiter for this leftist organization?
"Nag-a-ROTC ka ba?" (Are you taking ROTC?) the guy asked first without looking at me, then turned his head with full attention.
"Oo" (Yes), I answered.
"Kilala mo ba ako?" (Do you know who I am?)
"Hindi po," (No, with a touch of respect.).
"Jury," he said, while tapping my shoulder. "Raya ako dati. Kumusta mo ako kina Joe." (I was with Raya before. Say hi to Joe for me.)
"COCC ako," I thoughtlessly blurted out, feeling a sense of superiority. Raya ka lang pala, eh. Mas Mataas ako sa'yo (In the future, I would ask for a 'wish' from this guy).
"Galingan mo," (Do good,) Jury said. Somehow, I felt a sense of real appreciation from this guy. I felt guilty for my feeling of competitive pride (I felt fear when I learned later who he really was.).
When he spoke, all the girls in our class were really listening., He has the looks, and he has the solid confidence that was a mix of his looks and a sense of competent authority. I only know of one fraternity that has a competent training for its members: Upsilon Sigma Phi (at least, that was what I thought then). So that's who this guy, I thought.
The way he spoke it, it was like he knows everyone in this class. He has complete control of the situation. He knows when to be funny, and when it is serious he could pull the class to his objective. I didn't think a guy in college could influence people this way.
When he was done, he thanked everyone for listening. They went out of the room for the next room. He let the others walk out of the room first.
When they went out, the girls and boys in our class were solid for this party (considering most of them were "coño").
* * *
With a coño set of blockmate, I could not go anywhere but wherever they are going. They, or we, went to this rather classy place (for that time), Manila Midtown Inn (as I remember). The price was competitive, to say the least, but it was my whole week's worth of money for that day's lunch. Tomorrow, I have to eat monay and softdrinks for lunch (on that day, I looked forward to transferring to PLM, where I thought I could save).
We had steak. It was the first time I ate that kind of dish. That day, I thought, I'll be separate from these people when I eat.
That "separation" started there, like a Pharisee, I separated myself to a purpose that at first was selfish, but became a call of duty.
All COs are called to be separate. They are indeed chosen to be separate.
* * *
Our last class for the first day is Mathematics 1.
Our teacher is challenging one for me. He is very mild-mannered, he is very intent in his words, he is very prudent in his writing. In short, he is boring. My last teacher in high school mathematics was very orderly, but he was able to maintain an air of openness and welcomeness for questions in the class. In this class, the boredom gags my mouth. I want to get out of this room ASAP!
Math 1 as a subject is very challenging itself for me. I cannot define its scope. It's like a UP-twisted elementary education mathematics.
I looked out of the window and saw the top part of the Supreme Court building. Do the judges need math? Do business people in communication need math?
I need math. In order to pass the course, I have to pass all my subjects. I have to love it. Why should I think of the hardships when I used to play with numbers like licking my lips - that's how easy math was for me.
I looked on the blackboard - and despair. What kind of math is this? This is worse than our Philo I class!
* * *
On my way out of the school, I looked on a poster of the student election parties. It looked like there are three types of parties. The activist, the conservative, and the midway.
The Katipunan represents the organizations that are radical, activist and "pro-masses." AESOP is the other end - conservative, rational, pro-status quo. ASAP is somewhere in the middle.
I remembered Jury being under the Katipunan's slate for CAS. I looked for his profile since it lists the highlights of academic and social achievements. The last item reads: "Cadet Officer, Rayadillo Company."

1 comment:

  1. hehehe...nasabi mo ba sa sarili mong "patay"? hehehehhehehe...o "ah...kaya pala"?

    ReplyDelete