Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Philippine Politics: My Role

This is a boring subject, so I will write about this first.
Philippine politics, and what I have to do with it.
In recent news and available information (also called "rumors"), many people question what the President should do. Should she resign, face the impeachment court, or directly act on the threat to her leadership and the governance (also called 'declare martial law,' which is not that easy to do). A lot of things are implied by each course of action. A lot of things are actually happening with the actions taken by the Opposition (calling themselves 'para sa masa'). Earlier, on my way to work, because of the stupidity of the mayor of the city I am working in (I do not reside in the same city.) or the owner of the land (This should give local readers an idea what this city I am talking about), instead of taking less than 50 minutes to go to work, I have to run after an hour to get to my workstation on time. Such is the leader of this place. Another prominent leader taking a similar attitude and characteristics is a former president.
Yes. Cory Aquino. That pseudo-leader - whose words are required for this country on every situation. Does everyone really want to hear her voice? She plunged this country to an all-time high debt figure in her presidency due to her compromise and illogic!
In this country, there are three leaders.
The leader in position. This is the current President.
The leader affecting. This is the leader that makes things happen - not necessarily good, ethical, or effective. This is currently the group of people in the Opposition.
The leader in character. This is the person who has the moral, ethical, spiritual and objective characteristics, objectives (forgive me for the seeming redundant or circular use of words) and vision for the country. I still do not see this person in the group of people in the leadership.
(I have a lot of opinions on the current status, particularly against the Opposition and a critique on how the President is handling the situation, and how the Filipinos react/respond to the situation, but it would be a long one if I discussed the points one by one.)
So, what is my role?
Honestly, I felt so depressed at first. I wanted to cry for my country. I am grieving for how the people are letting themselves tricked by persons with latent personal schemes and mischief (not to mention incapabilty to lead or manage - you cannot even discipline your own daughter, how can you guide the country?!). I almost cannot sleep.
I read the book of Isaiah and Jeremiah. In those books, Israel was in turmoil - both North and South. There were crises, both internal and external. I read the Second Book of Samuel, particularly when David sinned and left the throne in fear. The Philippine situation is grossly similar. The Words of God were clear in the message. It's just that the people (even the Catholic Church) do not read the Bible - or if they do, they either do not know the message for this situation, or they want to listen to something else.
When I decided that I needed to get sleep, I prayed for the proper approach to the situation, and the answer.
What could I do?
I learned.
My role is to fulfill my role, to look into my responsibilities - which I am answerable to God - and live up to them, and seek the best for my family.
For once, I have agreed to Korina Sanchez (someone said she said this over her morning program). If the family is fine, the country would follow.
If everyone looks into his or her own role and live unto them, the country will go forward and into the proper direction.
The problem is that a lot of people want to another person's business, forget his or her own role (those who ask for the President's resignation, have they done their own job? Those who left the President's Cabinet, don't they remember that while they serve at the President's pleasure, they are actually SERVING THE PUBLIC, not the President? If they left the President because "hindi na nila kayang sikmurain ang ginagawa ng Presidente," doesn't that mean that they were accomplices to a crime committed? Should they not be condemned as well for working with the person they are judging? Should they not be condemned for committing treason - leaving the country and its people?)
Look into your own role, fulfill your responsibilities, live up to your purpose. That is your own role.
EVERYDAY.
God bless the Philippines. God bless the Filipino people. While there was a time when I thought I might dislike my own race, I have cleared my mind. I love this country. I weep, but I smile to its hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment