Saturday, July 16, 2005

Little Things

It is very difficult to appreciate the little things, but like ANYTHING, you get to miss their big value when they are no longer there.
I try not to devalue people. Whether they are really close or not, someone I have gone through hardships or pleasant experiences, trainee or teacher, co-worker or superior, intimate friend or casual acquaintance, I do not devalue. I know they are important. I know they are people. And for me, there are only two things that make my reality: words and people.
Yesterday noon, I accompanied my best friend Anne on her way to a job interview. It was challenging for her. It was also challenging for me, not knowing what to advise her. It's just that I don't know what else she needs, because for me, she has everything an employer or HR person would want - professionalism, competence, and highly valuable interpersonal skills - if they get to know her.
And that's it. It was on letting them know who she really was.
That small thing which I forgot.
I am a communication major person, but I forgot which she needed and which was supposedly in my area of expertise - getting the message across.
Anne did not have to impress the person. That interviewer would definitely be impressed just in knowing her background, her achievements, the trials she went through. But I forgot to tell her that in an interview, and with her case, it should not be difficult. She only needed to get the message across.
Little things.
Perhaps, telling her, "you only need to let yourself be known. No impressing the person needed. Yourself is more than enough to get you any job," could have made her feel different.
One thing learned.
* * *
After her interview, we were supposed to go home. I went with her to Cubao. When we got off the bus, it was raining heavily. She was wearing her job interview attire, I was wearing a casual but slacks thing - and LEATHER shoes. I hate to have my leather shoes wet. But what can I do?
We ran to the nearest building, and wet, waited for the rain to ease - which was after about 30 minutes. It was challenging, for me, personally. I wanted to have a pleasant day with her. Rain is not in my plans.
But God had other plans. It was perfect. In that rain, God gave us a perfect setup to talk. Awesome.
We ate at Goldilocks. We talked. We talked for more than an hour - more than 90 minutes. It was very interesting. Personal, but intellectual. We learned more of each other. We laughed, we were surprised, we were not wearing masks. We appreciated each other. It's not just missing each other for me, because I made it a policy not to let a person get out of my communication in a way that would make that person be missing to me. No. I wanted to let people know that I appreciate them. This time, however, I guess it was an opportunity for us to let us again express our appreciation of each other, and our friendship. Without sarcasm or jokes to those expressions of appreciation. It was awesome.
"The silver tint in the cloud..." of the rain. Heheh.
It was not just silver. It was diamond of a moment. But it works, I like silver better than gold.
It was almost hateful raining in the rain, but with Anne, it was like walking in the field with the gust of the afternoon wind.
I was even smiling. (Guess why)
* * *
Wow. four more days, and I'll be 24 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment