Monday, December 12, 2005

I think therefore I am from UP

I saw this girl wearing a black shirt. It said:
"There are only two universities in the Philippines:
1. Mapua
2. Others"
Yeah, right.
* * *
Last Tuesday, 06 December 2005, before I watched The Myth (for the --th time), there was a girl in front of me who was wearing a white shirt. From the print on the back of her shirt, I understood she is a college student. The print says:
"I think therefore I am from UP."
The t-shirt reveals she is from UP Manila. Of course, I know this shirt comes only from UP Manila.
Honestly, I am proud I am from UP. If there is anything that UP has taught me, it is two things:
1. To think critically and open-mindedly; and,
2. To work with the primacy of the nation over self-interest.
To print that "I think therefore I am..." is a very selfish, proud attitude that does not represent the identity of the UP: sacrifice, nationhood and unity, being one with the masses, and leadership through serving. True, UP works with academic leadership, but where does that intellect go to? Division, bias and insensitivity to the needs of the country. Where do UP students go? After getting the best education the nation has to offer and given through the taxes of the people, they go to the United States, to the United Kingdom, to become nurses for other countries. Yes, they have families to feed, but is that the real reason?
UP has the Oblation has the symbol of sacrifice for the nation and its people. The professors teach reason, unity with the masses, and putting the people's interest in everything that you do. But what is this elitist behavior in the primary university that is supported by the people it is separating itself from?
UP is quick to criticize the people in the leadership, but where is that criticism going to? Where is the solution? UP, who has "fought" for the rights of the masses, criticized the President, cannot even give the benefits of its own workers!
UP, pity you.

No comments:

Post a Comment