Saturday, April 09, 2016

Quick Updates and Random Thoughts

Web-Based Performance Management Information System

I have to abandon the Google Fusion Tables-based performance information system as it is limited. Of course, that is not the only reason. The other, and real reason is that I got to actually make my own PHP-MySQL-based system. Although it is only at its initial stage (my most important achievement is a username-password protection system that ensures no page is accessible without proper login), I feel confident that I can achieve my intended system.... although when is another question.

Running and Performance Management 

Running is really a good exercise. But it does not only help one in physical fitness. It also helps me in approaching personal performance management.

When I run, I do not run alone. I do not run with a group, but the place I run is an ideal running area, with vehicles' speed in check, paved road, and less vehicles due to the security setup of the area.

Nonetheless, while I see other people run, I am reminded of the following to help me keep my pace, and ensure sustainability in my performance:
  1. Keep my own comfortable pace. Focus on the distance of the run without incurring injuries.
  2. Focus on my own performance. Do not compete against other runners. Other runners may have different reasons for running, which drives the way they run. I know why I run, and I will try to sustain it. 
  3. Focus on the run. Do not think about other things. When I do, I slow down, and my mental activity increases fatigue.
  4. Know how to prioritize. If you want to finish a big thing, you may need to abandon or remove secondary objectives. For example, as I hope to finish a 42-kilometer run in October, I am less inclined to target a sub-2 hour 21-kilometer. It's okay for me to finish it in 2 hours and 15 minutes, just five minutes faster than my last record. 
  5. If you want to achieve something, do not compete with someone else. Compete against your own limitations, so that you improve on the measures that you need to and not based on some else's measures.
These are just some of my thoughts on comparing performance management with running.

New Spreadsheet Function Learned

So I learned how to use spreadsheet functions INDEX and MATCH to do two-dimensional or two-factor lookup. I will write about it in my next post in Technology for Teachers blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment