Sunday, April 20, 2014

Installing Microsoft-based TrueType Fonts in Ubuntu 14.04

So I installed Ubuntu 14.04, or Trusty Tahr. Like previous Ubuntu versions I have installed (started with 9.04), the Linux-based operating system works just out of the box.

I particularly like the Ubuntu font, which I don't remember having in Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin)

However, for me, as I have to use MS Office-based TrueType fonts, like Times New Roman and Arial, I have to add these fonts as an additional step. Unfortunately, while the application ttf-mscorefonts-installer can be installed from the Ubuntu Software Center, it won't really work.

To enable the MS fonts, you have to do it from the Terminal so that you can accept the End-User License Agreement (EULA). To do this, just open your Terminal, and type this:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ttf-mscorefonts-installer

You will, of course, have to enter your system password.

After that, you should be able to read and accept the EULA, and the fonts will be downloaded and unpacked in your Ubuntu computer. After finishing the installation, you can go to your office application (e.g., LibreOffice), and find the new fonts useable there.

No comments:

Post a Comment