Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Piece of my peace: CMBA's 2nd test


Death of Critical Thinking among UPM Students

The death of Ms Kristine Tejada, for me, should not be blamed to UP Manila, the UP System, nor its officials. Takeaway: No one wants this to happen, so no one should be blamed.

I have known Chancellor Agulto, Vice Chancellor De Luna and even Dr. Tony Leachon since they became UP Manila administrators, so that was about a year. I don’t particularly like them. I don’t like their prioritization – prioritizing medical and hard sciences over social sciences and humanities. Prioritizing in media and publicity over internal needs. I got annoyed with Vice Chancellor De Luna’s seeming inexperience in administering the international relations program of the University. But none of those gives any justification for shifting the blame on them over what happened with the student who committed suicide.

All of those administrators are parents. Sure, anyone can accuse them of ‘crocodile tears,’ but I don’t believe so.

While I am an advocate of reform, these reforms need no sacrificial lambs in the form of qualified administrators such as them. Those administrators are not perfect, but neither are the accusers. The administrators may not be the best, but they are the ones who took the challenge to lead such an ungrateful community as UP Manila.

Criticism is good. But do it constructively. Do not use this tragedy to advance your political interests.

On Scrapping STFAP

I remember an upperclass man who told me (and others) that he hates STFAP. He said because of STFAP, a lot of unqualified students got to enter UP. For him, STFAP, besides expanding the capacity of UP to accept students, also lowered the passing rate.

Activists call on UP administration to scrap STFAP. I am one of those who benefited from STFAP. I know, if I relied on my ‘intellect’ alone, I could not enter UP. I know, because I applied for 2 quota courses, and I did not get accepted. I was accepted in my 3rd choice, a non-quota course in UP Manila.

Sure, scrapping STFAP means everyone will have totally free UP education, but only everyone who got to enter UP, and that would be far less, because of the limited budget of the University.

In South Korea, as far as I know, there is nothing similar to STFAP. I think. So in order to get to enter a state university, you have to be very intelligent, and live in the locality.

Scrapping STFAP would mean, among others, and considering real conditions:

  1. Totally free UP education
  2. Less students entering UP
Maybe UP should consider scrapping STFAP. So that students who are not intellectually qualified, and those who fail their courses because of too much progressive, anti-fascist, anti-structural activities, will no longer enter or stay in UP. UP will be strict in providing support to those who are really qualified.

Just my thoughts. For now. Not organized. Just response to the reactions.

Note: CMBA's first test was the Courtzone Badminton shooting incident.